Email Guidelines for MCS Staff
Email is an expected means of communication at MCS. Approach your email messages with the understanding that any email could be considered public information and will be around forever. Be smart about what you include in your emails. You will never know to whom your email is forwarded. Please follow these guidelines for acceptable use of email.
• Keep emails short
• Be specific with your subject line
• Get right to the point in your first sentence
• If you want a response, put that in the message
• If a response is requested, reply within 24 hours, even just to say you'll get back later
• Use email to set up meetings, arrange schedules, share information & confirm details
• Avoid the use of email for discussing major issues
• Avoid the use of email to discuss students*
• Avoid the use of students' names or initials*
• If you have an urgent message or need an immediate response, call or meet face-to-face
• Use email tools to help you manage your messages
• Check your email twice per day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon/evening
*Email involving a student is part of the student record. Parents can request copies of all records regarding their children and it would be the school's responsibility to provide it, including any emails. These guidelines are not intended to limit communication but to remind us of confidentiality concerns.